What is Team Coco?
We are runners, walkers, hikers and fundraisers who support the Live Like Coco Foundation’s goal of improving the lives of all kids in our community in memory of Coco Lazenby, who was killed in a car accident at age 12.
How Does it Work?
We start our next 12-week season on Wednesday January 30. We will get together for two trainings a week: A coached workout at Anna Jean Cummings Park in Soquel on Wednesdays from 6-7:30 p.m., and a walk/jog/run on Saturday mornings.
During this period we will also ask for support for our foundation’s fundraisers, especially for our official fun run/ walk on Saturday April 27, 2019 at Pinto Lake County Park to mark Coco’s birthday. You may, of course, also plan your own fundraisers.
Do I have to Be an Adult?
We are open to runners and walkers 12+ (under 18 must join with a parent/ guardian).
Where Does My Fundraising Go?
In our Spring 2019 season we will be raising funds to support the Live Like Coco Foundation. This includes the Birthday Books From Coco program, which gives more than 5,000 public school students a chance to pick a new book of their own choosing on their birthdays.
We are also funding a new field trip program that takes elementary students from Watsonville to the Forest of Nisene Marks, where the foundation sponsors a redwood grove in Coco’s name.
How Much Does it Cost to Join?
For a $100 Registration, you will get a Team Coco T-shirt or sweatshirt and 12-weeks of coached trainings. We ask participants to commit to 12 hours of volunteer time. Attending track practices can earn you up to 4 hours off this commitment.
Do I Have to Run a Marathon?
You can train for a 5K, 10K, half marathon or marathon. As a team, we will target these events: Our Team Coco 5K at Pinto Lake County Park on April 27, 2019 and the Avenue of the Giants Race on May 5, 2019, which includes a 10K, half marathon and marathon.
What Do I Get In Return?
- A Team Coco t-shirt
- Personalized coached trainings to complete a 5k, 10k, half marathon, or marathon
- Official training runs in beautiful Santa Cruz county locations
- Professional clinics to discuss gear, nutrition, cross-training, and race-day preparedness
- Technique instruction on proper running/walking form, core strength, and injury prevention
- Discounts on professional gear at the Santa Cruz Running Company
- Amazing opportunities to train with good-hearted, like-minded people
- A chance to make a big difference for kids in the community